Saturday, January 28, 2012


Some people strive to be a star, to be in the spot light, to be the best at church, school, career, and home – to be “perfect”.  For me I strive to be ordinary.  I am learning that my life is far from ordinary!  I come from a broken home, from a dysfunctional family, and I have a world of “scarring moments” in my life.  I have stories upon stories of neglectful parents, feelings of rejection caused by family and relationships.  I have made lots of mistakes and bad choices in my life. I fell in love and got married, have marital problems, been to lots of counseling, and on the verge of divorce.  I have been pregnant and had complications, struggled to be a good mom and protect my kids from today’s sick world.  I have suffered the loss of loved ones too precious to me that it crushed my soul.  As I think about my life I can’t help but to think I am just like everyone else…ordinary.  I am not saying we are not unique because we are and our God created us that way on purpose!  He surely could have made us all the same because after all He is the CREATOR and we are His masterpiece.  What I am saying is that being or feeling ordinary gives me comfort because I am just like everyone else, I have issues, problems, and far from “perfect”.  I enjoy being behind the scenes, going unnoticed and on some level I enjoy being invisible or blending in.  It is an easy place for me to find comfort because I have such a dynamic family.  My stepmom is the daughter of Zig Ziglar, my older sister shines in the spot light with her energy and talents, my little sister is super mom while spreading the news about Jesus through missionary, and my brother is a technical guru with an outstanding personality who is great with people.  So being ordinary and invisible is easy to do in this crowd.  The problem is God didn’t create me to be ordinary; He created me to be UNIQUE!  

Psalms 139:13-16 The Message Bible

13-16 Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
      you formed me in my mother's womb.
   I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking!
      Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
      I worship in adoration—what a creation!
   You know me inside and out,
      you know every bone in my body;
   You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
      how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
   Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
      all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
   The days of my life all prepared
      before I'd even lived one day.

So let’s dive in and explore how my desire to be ordinary is far from ordinary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment