Saturday, January 28, 2012


Definition of SKETCHY
1: of the nature of a sketch : roughly outlined
2: wanting in completeness, clearness, or substance : slight, superficial <the details are sketchy>
3: questionable, iffy <got into a sketchy situation> <a sketchy character>

Have you ever felt like you are a sketchy Christian?  These days I am finding myself to be one for sure.  I know the gist of God, I believe in God, and even on some days I can even say a few scriptures about God.  However, I am learning that I do not KNOW God and that has affected my choice making ability greatly in life.  I have been Christian enough to rely on God in the hard times, but not knowing Him enough to lead my life daily and again I find myself in constant misery because of my lack of knowledge in the One who promises to love me and free me.

Romans 1:28-32 (NIV)

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Now I am not saying I fit all of these categories because I do consider myself to be a kind, tender hearted person.  The problem is that because I have not taken the time to learn about God I have set myself up to not have an intimate relationship with Him.  Think about your best friend for a moment, did that happen overnight?  Did you just have that deep, intimate relationship with her automatically or did it take time to develop?  If your best friend is anything like mine, then you understand my point.  I am blessed to have a few best girl friends that I can count on no matter what and they are very special to me.  But my BEST of best friends is one I have known for 26 years and we have been through everything imaginable.  She is the friend I don’t have to talk to every day and know that she still loves me and would be there in a moment’s notice.  She is the one that I have not one secret from because I know she accepts me for me no matter what.  She is the one who can finish my thoughts, sentences, or knows exactly what I am thinking with just one look at me.  She has held my hand and just sat with me while I cried through soul breaking moments. Yes, she is my best, best, best friend in the world and I cherish every year we have been friends.  I tell you this because have you ever considered that God desires to be your best, best, best friend in the world? 

Psalm 91:14-16 (NIV)

14 “Because he[b] loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him;
   I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
   I will be with him in trouble,
   I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
   and show him my salvation.”

I have found myself over the past few days in awe of God.  He has comforted me during my storm and given me such a peace and joy that I can’t even put into words.

Romans 15:13
13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I no longer desire to be a “sketchy” Christian to rely solely on my pastor to teach me, my friends to teach me, or my family to teach me.  Nope! Today I want to be the one who digs into His word and let Him teach me all about who He is and what He desires for me.  Just like I look forward to hanging out with my best friends I am finding that I am looking forward to hanging out with Him.  These days I find myself grabbing a hot cup of coffee and snuggling up with my Bible.   I am so humbled and grateful to know that my Heavenly Father wants to meet me just where I am and be my best, best, best friend!

So I end my thoughts for today with this song.


God I look to You
I won't be overwhelmed
Give me vision to see things like You do
God I look to You
You're where my help comes from
Give me wisdom, You know just what to do

I will love You Lord my strength
And I will love you Lord my shield
And I will love You Lord my rock
Forever all my days I will love you God

Hallelujah our God reigns
Hallelujah our God reigns
Hallelujah our God reigns
Forever all my days Hallelujah

1 comment:

  1. Jenni! You are not ordinary! Not in my opinion, at least! I look at all you have accomplished.....graduated college, married for years (and worked hard at that marriage thru tough times), raising two beautiful TWINS(!!!!!!!), keep a household going, I could go on, but I don't have time! You are one of those people that always make me laugh, your sense of humor is amazing, and fabulous, hence my special nickname for you........FAMAZING!!!!!
    I too find comfort in fading into the background. I don't want attention brought to myself, no way. And while your siblings shine, are super, and have great personalities, I must say that YOU do too! Even in the background you can be FAMAZING! You make parenting look easy, I wish I could learn that from you!
    Anyway, just glad that you're my sister in law!
    Love you,
    Christi (aka.....smarty pants)

    ReplyDelete